Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Overhauling the DBP

I do not generally read Malay books. But here I am writing one. I find the Malay language has a nuanced about it that is both poetic yet clear. I am no expert in the language but I do find it appalling that after 50 years of independence, we are still struggling to make the language relevant.

I personally love the idea of the Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka: A repository of Malay culture and literature, the guardian of our national language and the pioneer of Malay lexicography by coming up with new words and stamping its approval for new phrases. There have been many attempts at instilling pride in our language but somehow it always fell short and we as a race and a nation feel inadequate at times to handle deluge of information and cultural stimuli which are far more fluid and alluring than our own.

So what do we do?

The government will write its letters in Bahasa Malaysia and its audience will attempt to decipher it into some other language, foremost English. There was a time where Malay was the lingua franca of the region. That time has passed. We do not speak the same tongue as our neighbour, Indonesia. In fact, due to differences in dialect and geopolitics our languages have less similarities than we dare to admit. Add on to the fact that in Malaysia itself, people in the north and south, east and west coast and for that matter the far flung regions of Sabah and Sarawak, speak very different Bahasa Melayu.

By law, companies seeking listing on the Stock Exchange of Kuala Lumpur are required to issue prospectuses in Bahasa Melayu which hardly anyone reads. I agree it provides an avenue for the vocabulary of the language to grow and provide good employment to quite a few people in the industry. But as far as real usage and real impact on the language, I do not see it.

Local television stations air shows and advertisements in multiple languages in order to capture every market possible. Heaven forbid if they should offend any particular ethnic minority by ignoring their mother tongue or the national language.

I fear however that the language may be dying or it may evolve into a creole like English and fail to preserve its authentic meaning. But then again, the meaning of words is forever changing. But as custodian of a potentially dying culture, the DBP must act now to make itself more relevant. Thus, I propose we do something different. Something radically different:

-We should restructure the Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka into something like the British Council. There should be a DBP in every major city in the world.
-We should insist that all foreign students learn the basics of the language (provided free by the DBP) before commencing their education in this country.
-We require all foreign content must be translated before dissemination to the public, exempt only local firms who publish such content. These will include films and books for a start.
-All Bahasa Malaysia works in literature, film and performance arts will not be censored but must be rated by the respective guilds, e.g. the Screen writers Guild, the Theater Professionals Guild and endorsed by the DBP.
-DBP to oversee and manage foreign content, in the end the Censorship Board shall cease to exist.
-National service should include a stint as a Bahasa Malaysia teacher, the DBP will play a crucial role in the deployment and outsourcing of this function.
-Applicants for permanent residence must have basic knowledge of the language. DBP again will be the arbiter of standards.
-DBP should compile Top Ten Books of the Year and recognise local talent in literature. They do not even have a Top 100 Malay Books.
-DBP should organise more writing competitions with bigger prize money and glamour. The aim is to discover a nobel prize nominee if not winner.

No comments: