Friday, October 06, 2006

Sorry: From one Statesman to Another

I believe in freedom of expression. When I say this I mean anything verbal or action which does not physically harm others. I believe insults are okay but lies about others are not. Besides what people say is very different from what they do mostly. What a bind have Former PM Lee and Current PM Badawi have gotten into. Personally, I think Badawi can afford to be more gracious. The Chinese have never been marginalised. On the contrary, they have been very good at seizing opportunity when other Malaysians have merely stood still.

Without this race Malaysia would not be where it is today. We are not like other countries. Even the United States of America (USA) had the unspoken commonality of being a Christian country. We are a melting pot (or politically correct: salad) of cultures. As in any other culture, there will be dominant one and others relegated to behind the scenes. Race has always been used as a politically button in this country. I doubt anyone can deny ever thinking that if they were of a different race, things would be different. Some have even wished that they are white and lament the situation of their African American brethren’s situation in the USA, in private. So, among friends, we can say and do things that may sound racist or inciteful. But let us not take things out of context, these are off-the-cuff comments and should be treated as such.

What we should really be asking is this: Why are we so hung up on our skin colour? I doubt that in 1,000 years time, there will be any pure Malay, Indian, Chinese or Kadazan, anyhow.

No comments: